Propane generators are an ideal backup power product for your home, office, or even for your yard, picnics and camping trips. There are so many advantages to using a portable power generator that runs on propane. For one, they last longer, they burn cleaner, they’re easier to move around, they’re cost effective, and they provide excellent fuel efficiency compared to gasoline-powered models.
You can find propane generators in all manner of sizes, depending on your needs. Here are some of the advantages you get with a propane generator:
- It’s environmentally friendly – just like most natural gas gensets, propane generators emit less fumes compared to their gasoline counterparts. While gasoline is a dangerous fire hazard that produces toxic fumes, it is easier to switch off a propane tank to reduce the risk of fire.
- It has bigger capacity to provide power – if you take a look at other types of portable power generators, such as diesel, natural gas, electric, wind, solar, and others, propane generators can provide power longer. At the very minimum, a propane generator can run for two days, twelve hours a day.
- Propane fuel is easily accessible – you can get propane from a wide variety of sources. You can get refills for your propane generator’s cylinders anytime from propane dealers in your area. You don’t even need to run to the nearest gas station.
- It can be installed easily – propane generators have underground propane tanks, and you can easily attach them whether you have a large tank or a smaller cylinder.
- It’s cost efficient – while the initial cost of a propane generator may be higher than its gasoline counterpart, you save a lot more in fuel costs in the long run, as propane is considerably lower priced compared to gasoline.
- It can be silent – if you are searching for silent generators, you’re in luck. Propane generators, like the ETQ PG30P11 3,500 Watt 7 HP 208cc 4-Cycle OHV Propane Powered Portable Generator on Amazon is fitted with an oversized muffler to provide you with power, quietly.
All these benefits point to propane generators as the ideal model that will provide you with easily accessible fuel, portability, cost-efficiency, longer lasting power, a lower carbon footprint, and the advantage of a low noise generator.
Remember, before buying your silent genset, make sure to check for a built-in muffler or other noise reduction accessories. There are so many portable propane generators in the market today, you’ll have a wide array of brands and models to look at, so choose wisely.
It’s also a good idea to have a list of your specifications prepared before you visit your nearest dealer or when you shop online. This list will include your preferred size, power specifications, decibel levels, and price range. This list will make it easier and more convenient for you to find the propane generator you’re looking for, and to prevent any confusion when you’re faced with a multitude of choices.
With a portable propane generator providing backup power for your home, small office, picnic or camping trip, you needn’t have to worry about power interruptions or fumble for a match again.
Propane-fueled Gensets by Cummins Onan
Cummins Onan is one of the bigger names in the higher end segment of the generator market. They have a line of silent generator models designed with propane engines. If you want the advantages the advantages of propane generators and want them in quiet designs that reduce noise levels, then it might be worth checking out the Cummins line composed of 5 models with maximum wattage outputs ranging from 2500 watts to 6500 watts.
The smallest of the bunch is the 2500 watt Cummins Onan RV Generator RV QG 2500 LP which weighs around 113 lbs. and a noise level of about 70 dB (A) at 10 ft. and 50% load. It uses a Cummins Onan overhead valve engine. Safety features include low oil shutdown, a magnetic circuit breaker and a cross flow cooling system.
The biggest and most powerful of the entire line is the 6500 watt Cummins Onan RV QG 6500 LP which weighs in at 290 lbs. This one is one packs a lot of power but is designed to reduce excessive vibration and is built in with an enclosed muffler for that low noise operation of 67 dB (A) at 10 ft. and 50% load. Safety features include self-diagnostic capability, low oil pressure protection, over/under speed protection, over-current protection, etc.
In-between models include the RV QG 2500 LP Remote Muffler (designed for travel trailers, truck campers, and folding camp trailers), RV QG 3600 LP and the RV QG 5500 LP.